Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rainbows and blessed docks


   One of our concerns as we approached the end of the Erie Canal was finding dock space in Tonawanda when we arrived at 4:30 today. This is a very popular dockage right off the Niagara River, just 10 mile north of Buffalo, and 5 miles south of Niagara Falls. We cruised past over 2,000 feet of public docks without finding an opening large enough for "Whatever It Takes" with the exception of about 200 feet of premium dock space cordoned off for some event. We reached the Niagara River after passing through Tonawanda and Dave suggested we go back through town to see if something may have opened up. I was doubtful, but didn't have a better plan so we turned back into the canal. As we approached the cordoned off dock space the dock master was removing the signs and invited us to dock. The dock master explained that the "Blessings of the Fleet" had taken place on these docks today. A fitting end to our journey.


         Tomorrow is crew change day.  Dave, Kenny, and Chris have been a fantastic crew.





The last locks, 34 & 35. Note the old locks on the right. These two locks lifted us five stories (51 feet) to the level of Lake Erie.


The last two locks were the most difficult with swirling currents and high lifts. These were the only locks we had to share and we shared them with a LARGE ferry carrying 65 passengers.


The west entrance of the Erie Canal at Tonawanda.


Clark wasn't all that excited about reaching the Niagara River.


Right after we settled in we were welcomed to Tanawanda by this rainbow. The end of a magical journey across 342 miles of upstate New York, 35 locks, countless lift bridges, and small villages that comprise the Erie Canal.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Dick,
    My name is Larry Brooks. Moe was my Btry CO. in Vietnam.
    Moe has beening us here in North Carolina for pass 5 days or so. He just left this morning heading back to Ohio. My wife and I have truly enjoyed having him as our guest. A wonderful gentlemen.
    Moe told me about you vorage back to Lake Erie so I have been following along reading your blog daily. It has been a most exciting adventage.
    I ask Moe if you ever publis this blog into a book be sure to get me one, hopefully signed my you.
    I look forward to the rest of the journey and pray God makes it a pleasant one and a safe one for you and the crew.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! Thanks Dick for sharing this magical journey with us! I finally have my land legs back! Donna

    ReplyDelete