Sunday, May 25, 2014

calm, very calm

 
The distance down from the bow to a dock on "Whatever It Takes" is about six feet, unless one is jumping from the bow to a dock. My knees and rump suggest the distance is more like 20 feet.
 
      We needed to move the boat from the east wall on which we were docked to the west wall, where our bow would be headed out to the river. With one engine and a prevailing west wind, I knew it would be difficult. We decided to wait until this morning to move the boat hoping the winds would be calm and agreed to meet the dock hand at 7:30 so she could grab lines. I was awake at 6:00 and there was no wind. It was calm, very calm. I woke Mo and started dropping our lines. Mo pushed off the bow with our long boat hook while I held the stern to start our turn. We were drifting toward the opposite dock.
 
       Everything went perfect until our bow arrived at the other dock. That's when I realized I would need to jump from the bow to complete the docking. Upon impact, I fell backwards on the splintered, oak dock boards. Fortunately my backward movement was stopped when my rump and elbows acted as an emergency brake.
 
OUCH
 
We did get the boat moved to the new marina and expect the mechanic to arrive sometime tomorrow. Mo and I went out in the marina courtesy car for groceries and dinner. Tom and Bill should arrive around 7:00 tomorrow night. The Erie Canal is still closed at lock 23 and is expected to open on Tuesday or Wednesday. 
 
OK, I found the engine. Now what?





The marina has a courtesy car. We were able to stock up on groceries and had dinner out while we had wheels.


No comments:

Post a Comment