Monday, May 26, 2014

The mechanic said "I dont know the first thing about these engines"...

 
       I was really hoping to have the starboard engine repaired before the new crew showed up. Kim, the marina owner, told me that their mechanic, Craig, should be back in town sometime today. Craig showed up at my boat at 2:30 this afternoon. After the initial greetings, Craig and I entered the stateroom with the floor board open to the engine, tools scattered about, and the valve cover off the engine. That's when Craig turned and said,
 
 "I'm sorry, but I don't know the first thing about these engines".
 
When Craig offered to find a more knowledgeable mechanic, I told him I really think we can fix this if he can get me an electric fuel pump. Craig searched the marina parts department and returned in 10 minutes with a fuel pump. Two hours later I had managed to cut through the intake fuel line (1/2 inch of steel reinforced, petrified, 50 year old fuel line) and connected the fuel pump to the open ends of the fuel line. We disconnected the other end of the fuel line from the filter, I touched the power wires from the new fuel pump to the generator battery and, after a few sparks, (glad it was diesel) the pump started running. We finally got fuel through the lines, then cracked open one of the fuel injectors to bleed out any remaining air and tried to start the engine. She fired up and ran perfectly.
 
I am going to leave the electric fuel pump in line in case this happens again.
 
The new crew showed up one hour after I got the engine repaired. Just enough time for Mo and I to get the tools put away and vacuum the floor. Perfect timing.
 
 
 
 
 
My new booster fuel pump. 

The fuel line was titanium braided.

New crew Tom and Bill with their driver, "Rickchester".


Some things just never change.


A passing boater.


1 comment: