Friday, May 23, 2014

Rocks and a damaged prop...NOT US


    While laid up in Cape May we made friends with our neighbor Dave and his shipmates. Dave was just starting out on his Great Loop adventure. I shared stories of our trip and gave him any advise I could. I guess I forgot to mention that running your boat onto a pile of rocks can be hard on your props. Shame on me, as I did just that on my Great Loop trip (twice).

  Dave called my cell phone today to tell me how he had entered a bay to dock at Haverstraw Marina on the Hudson and found out too late it was the wrong bay. The water depth went from 17 feet, to his boat listing on a submerged rock pile, right now! With all the compassion I could muster, I told Dave-

   "Gee Dave, of all the sailors who have made the Great Loop trip, you are definitely the FIRST to have run aground and damaged a prop."

Dave hung up. And I thought we were friends?

All turned out good for Dave, one day down for prop repairs and back on the water. Dave and I will stay in touch as he travels the loop.

Mo and I cruised to the east side of Oneida Lake today. Cold, grey weather and 8 more locks, we arrived at Mariners Landing @ 6:00 tonight.


This inside lock 17, the tallest lock on the Erie Canal @ 40 feet. It's raining on Mo as usual. 

Lock 17 is unique as it has a guillotine door(notice the gap under the door as it is closing) which dripped lots of water on the bow deck hand (Mo) as we passed under it.


One of the nicer municipal marinas on the canal.

Those metal doors are the entrance to a lock.

Dinner tonight was gouda cheese melted over a creole spiced beef/pasta casserole.


No comments:

Post a Comment