Friday, May 4, 2012

Apollo 13 has nothing on us.


      Leaving Cleveland last September was a challenge. The day I was scheduled to leave was forecast to have perfect weather, there were tornado warnings instead. Then the batteries were dead, and Lake Erie did its best to kill us on the way to Erie, PA. I really expected the first day of the trip out of Hilton Head this spring to be much simpler. Alas, it was not to be.

It started on the trip down in my truck with sister Donna, brother in law Tom, coworker Skip, and Justin who was along to return the truck to Cleveland. We pulled a trailer with our gear and groceries. Somewhere in North Carolina, Tom (driver at the time) said "The fuel alarm just went off, wait, so did the check brakes light, and the anti traction alarm !!" I said "Christ, I feel like I'm on Apollo 13." After stopping for fuel all the alarms were gone and I drove the rest of the way (coincidence ?). 

Today we got a late start on our first day's cruise, 12:00 noon. The marina's accountant was sick and no one could find my bill. About 3 miles into the voyage the depth sounder went out. The depth sounder is THE MOST IMPORTANT device on your boat when travelling the ICW. I informed the crew we were going back to dock and correct the problem. Well, it seems Friday afternoons are permanent vacation times for all South Carolina boat mechanics. Having failed to correct the problem myself, we resorted to an Apollo 13 solution. I purchased a portable depth sounder, attached a 2X4 to the swim platform with the transducer at the bottom, wired the damn thing to the 12 volt light in the stern storage locker, and duct taped the display to the stern table.

Problem solved !

Apollo 13 has nothing on us.

Spent the balance of the day relaxing and going out to dinner. We plan to leave again tomorrow at 9:00 am.
The first morning overlooking the Hilton Head Cross Island Bridge.



Skip and Tuck ready for the day.



Tom, master navigator, plotting our course.



All while Donna is playing in the ocean with the puppies.


I'm sure this damn thing hooks up somewhere.

You want me to put it where?

Didn't need this little light anyway.



Truly an Apollo 13 solution.





1 comment:

  1. A little duct tape goes a long way when it comes to decorating the Con! Hope you can get her fixed at future stop!

    Mo

    ReplyDelete