Saturday, September 28, 2013

The ocean had other plans

 
 We left this morning intending to travel on the Atlantic Ocean. The ocean had other plans for us. We traveled about a quarter mile out from Cape May and I turn the boat around (not as easy as it sounds). The waves were supposed to be swells. They reminded me of five footers on Lake Erie. When a rogue  seven footer crashed over the bow I told Mo to hold on as I spun the boat around.
 
  There appeared to be an inland waterway on the charts that snaked it's way from Cape May to Atlantic City so we decided to try it. We didn't travel more than a thousand feet without a sharp turn and at least 50% of the water we travelled was less than 6 feet in depth. I got hung up on one sand bar for a few minutes when I mistakenly went right of a red marker. All in all it was certainly safer than the ocean, but not without challenges.
 
We planned to stay in Atlantic City tonight but when I called to make reservations the entire harbor was booked due to a massive boat show. We wound up docking at Seaview Harbor Marina (6 miles south of Atlantic City) and will be leaving the boat here until October 9th. The Erie Canal will reopen around that time and we can finish the trip Home.
 
Mo has been a great deck hand and at this time has lost some $$$ to me at gin. The next blog will begin after the 9th.
 
These fellas were going out from Cape May on an 8 hour ocean fishing trip. I feel sorry for them.


"SKINNY WATER"




Dinner in the universal cooking utensil.

Mo e-mailing one of his (several hundred) children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.


For the girls

No comments:

Post a Comment