Thursday, September 26, 2013

Wish I had a rearview mirror


  I wish I had a rearview mirror on the boat. Today we had a LARGE ship sneak up on us. I didn't notice the behemoth until it was very close. "HOLY ****" was my first comment when I looked back. We also had a commercial tug come up on our stern without notice, the wake from him had us rocking and rolling pretty good.

  We left dock on the C & D at 6:30 this morning to head for Cape May, New Jersey. The trip is only about 65 miles but we left early to take advantage of the outgoing tide. The Delaware Bay gets really narrow at the top and an incoming tide would slow us to around 7 MPH (making this a 9 to 10 hour trip). We were travelling at 13.6 MPH most of the way down the Bay with help from the tidal current. 

  We enjoyed a fresh Scallop dinner at the bar/restaurant across the street from Miss Chris Marina, our home for the night.


Red sky on the C & D Canal.

This big fella actually snuck up behind us in the shipping channel on Delaware Bay.

He passed by pretty close, note the swell of water at the bow.


The weather on the Delaware was looking a little dicey.

Sign at the harbor entrance to Cape May.


Our marina for the night. This place is kind of ratty. We docked here last year and the restaurant/bar across the street has really good food and the people are friendly.

Sunset in New Jersey.

For the girls (my daughter and others complained that I hadn't posted any decent pictures of myself)

No comments:

Post a Comment