Saturday, October 8, 2011

Don't mess with the Autopilot while underway (or maybe you can)...

It was a beautiful morning, Danette and I actually got started in the Cape May Canal 15 minutes earlier than planned.

As soon as we tooled into the Delaware Bay, Danette took the helm and I instructed her on the use of the Autopilot. Since the Bay is roughly 60 miles long and a straight shot, the Auto pilot was the ticket for an easy day.

The Bay tapers from around 40 miles wide to less than a mile. I now realize why the experts suggest traveling with the tide. We were traveling against the tide the entire way. Did you know that as the width of a channel grows smaller the tidal current grows stronger? I can vouch for this as being factual. We started out at 9.2 MPH and consuming 9 Gallons of diesel per hour. By the time we reached the C & D Canal at the top of the Bay we were traveling at 7.0 MPH and burning 10.5 Gallons of fuel per hour.

The tidal currents were strong enough that it was making the Autopilot adjust the rudder back and forth every 2 seconds or so which made the ride feel like something I would get sick on at Cedar Point (this was on water as calm as a mill pond). I told Danette "I think there is a way to adjust the sensitivity of the Pilot, but I don't dare mess with it now. Better to wait till we get to Hilton Head".  You know how that is. I never learn how to record on my wide screen, TIVO, Blueray television until there is a one time showing of an event starting in 10 minutes. Then I screw the TV up so bad I have to scramble to Laura's house just to see the damn thing. Well I decided to try to adjust the Autopilot anyway and after reading the manual (anyone that knows me won't believe that statement) I successfully reduced the sensitivity and we finished the voyage on Autopilot. The "Blind Squirrel" strikes again.

After successfully correcting the Autopilot.
An ocean going friend going with the tide.

Finally, the mouth of the C & D Canal.

Danette, Tucker, and I on the bow while I pilot the boat with the hand held remote for my "not so sensitive" autopilot.

Home for the night.

A woman's touch to the cabin.


1 comment:

  1. looks like beautifule weather.......wow. D. Ellsworth

    ReplyDelete