Monday, October 17, 2011

South Carolina Rocks ( I don't mean music )


   We had entered South Carolina, 20 minutes ago and were about 1 hour from Myrtle Beach ( our destination) when it happened. The ICW narrowed down and a large sign posted on the starboard side of the canal read "Dangerous rocks ahead, STAY IN CENTER OF CHANNEL". OK, that was what we have been doing for the last 30 days. No big deal. Until the barge emerged from around a tight bend in the canal. I slowed to a crawl and the 45 foot Hatteras directly behind me did the same. There was a strong current we were fighting and the barge was being pushed downstream by a tug. The barge held as close as he could to the Port side and we held as close as we could to the barge ( as little as 6 or 7 feet as he passed). Unfortunately his wake was just enough to push us and the boat behind us into the rocks I found out later that night another boat suffered the same fate just down river. The Captain behind me got on his radio and gave the barge Captain hell. The barge replied "Too bad, we had the right of way". Not much remorse there. U.S. Tow Boat was called as we were both lodged solidly on the rocks. The tow boat pulled the other boat first, attaching from the side and pulling her sideways into the canal. When he approached us I told him I preferred to be pulled back the same way we went in. With help from my Port engine we were able to slide her out backwards.

  My starboard drive was vibrating bad when I tried to engage so we motored the next 10 miles on the port only. I checked for water coming into the bilge about 30 times in the next hour, fortunately we didn't appear to be taking any on. This morning we took her to the Hague Marina (a full service facility) and they lifted her out. The only damage was to the starboard prop and the short drive shaft. I had spare props in the aft stowage and the Marina is going to straighten the shaft tonight and have her back in the water tomorrow night. I am having all the fluids and filters changed while there.

  Tonight I got a call from the boat owners that were behind us, they got my # from the tow boat company. They suffered extensive hull damage and had to be towed to a marina. The collision also killed their generator and apparently damaged their on-board computer system. They expect the repair bill to be $30,000 + and their boat will be laid up for at least 6 weeks (we were very fortunate). Together, we intend to file a complaint with the Coast Guard suggesting the barge companies give proper notice prior to traveling that section of the ICW.


Damaged prop after they removed it.  Good thing I have two spares on the boat.

This is the boat behind us still on the rocks preparing to be pulled off.




"Brother Loves Travelin' Salvation Show"- Niel Diamond



We moved hotels tonight from a Super 8 (which wasn't so super) to a new Embassy Suites. The gal that checked us in really liked Tucker and upgraded us to a Jacuzzi room. Tucker got all cleaned up for his...





date with the pretty southern Belle.

No comments:

Post a Comment