Friday, October 28, 2011

Hilton Head, a great crew, and... NEXT ?


Harbor Town entrance to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

All tied down for the winter at the Shelter Cove Marina, Hilton Head Island.

There is a SIX FOOT tide change every 12 hours here. When we entered the harbor at Shelter Cove the channel was four feet deep. Hell, I didn't think we were going to get in. Now, 6 hours later there's 10 feet of water out there. I am definitely leaving here on a high tide. The last 10 miles of the trip was up Broad Creek and was a complete NO WAKE ZONE.  It took almost 2 hours to travel the last 10 miles. That was the longest 2 hours of the trip.

Recapping totals for the trip: We departed on September 16th and arrived on October 28th, 42 days total with 11 days down (4 days for weather, 3 days for repairs, and 4 days cleaning and waiting for Laura). Approximately 2,200  miles traveled. Two large bags of dog food and four boxes of treats. 17 gallons of bottled water. Travelled through nine states and two Canadian provinces. Passed through 31 locks. Sailed on two great lakes, the Saint Lawrence Seaway, Lake Champlain, Delaware and Chesapeake Bays, and 100 miles of the Atlantic Ocean.

I was fortunate to have the 14 best crew members any captain could ask for.
Valerie

Jeff
Dad

Dave

Mike

Rick

Denny

Kenny

Tom

Jack

Danette
Mo
Brutie



Laura

Thanks for all the help and being willing to risk life and limb, you guys were super.

Dick and Tucker

What's next? Well, Tucker and I are considering leaving Hilton Head a little early, maybe mid March and continuing down to the Bahamas. It's only about 700 miles and we could be there in less than two weeks. We could dock "Whatever It Takes" around Nassau for six weeks or so then bring her on back to Cleveland. Tucker and I are looking for some good crew hands if you're interested.

4 comments:

  1. My Wife leave home for business on January 6 and comes home for a short stay July 15. I am available anywhere, any time, via Military Hop, or Hemi. The Bahamas has some great fishing, and I will provide the gear.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain, what a great adventure that I will never forget. I am glad to have been a part of it. Sign me up for the next one. Can't wait.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dick, a hell of trip! Congratulations on everything! And thank you for including me. It was blast crewing for you and exciting keeping up with your adventures. As you know, you can count on Donna and me in the spring.

    Way to go!!

    Tom D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing trip Dick! I thoroughly enjoyed reading the blog every day and am glad you arrived safe and sound. Can't wait for the next chapter. Cathy F.

    ReplyDelete