Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I've been through the Dismal Swamp...have you?

Tucker announcing the sign for the Dismal Swamp is ahead.

   OK Tucker, I see it. Mo, Tucker, and I arrived at the beginning of the ICW and the Dismal Swamp at 9:00 excited about what we were about to travel through. I imagined a primordial swamp with alligators around each bend, snakes hanging from the cypress trees, and an eerie mist hovering over the water. Sorta like the movie I saw as a kid "Creature from the Black Lagoon". What we found was a 60 foot wide trench, 6 feet deep, and straight as a poker. The only wildlife we saw were two ducks and one Heron. What's even worse, the speed limit was 6 MPH. Hell, we didn't even have to dodge any stumps or logs in the water. The upper Hudson River was more primordial. The only good part of the trip through the Dismal Swamp is it's cool name that I can say I went through it, have you ???

OK Mo, now listen to me and you'll catch some fish. If you don't believe me, ask Denny.


Trick question, how many old dogs does it take to tie up at a lock?




Obviously three!!!

After the canal section the swamp did get more interesting, but still no snakes or alligators.

We actually used the autopilot through the canal.

I took this pic as we left VA, on the opposite side it says welcome to North Carolina.

Dad, this swamp thing is really BORING.

After the Canal.
Our neighbor at the Marina visited for a while.

1 comment: