Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A might bewildered...


Daniel Boone was interview in his later years and asked if he had ever been lost when roaming the wilds of Kentucky. His reply, "Lost; no. But I was a might bewildered for three days once".

                What does this have to do with today's report?  Well, it started with Laura forgetting to raise the fenders before we got underway. We were on the water about 20 minutes when a fellow boater we had befriended at the dock radioed that our fenders were still down. I radioed back "The first mate is not doing her job", his response was "You should double her pay just for putting up with you". Laura laughed and agreed. After Laura raised the fenders and returned to the pilot house I explained to her the concept of "Lower the fenders when we dock, then raise them when we leave. Is that so difficult?"  Ten minutes later I stopped the engines and told Laura I think we made a wrong turn. As I spun the boat around, several of our fellow boaters (one of which I had passed 10 minutes ago) got on the radio and asked if we were going sightseeing or taking the long way or planned to travel the ocean instead of the ICW. At this point, in between laughs, Laura said calm as can be:

 "Dad, look at your expensive electronic charts which show exactly where the boat is, which way the boat is traveling, and where you want to go, then follow it. Is that so difficult" ?

Even Daniel Boone got bewildered occasionally.

  We arrived in Charleston S.C. at 3:30. Charleston is the 4th busiest seaport in the U.S. From our dock it is a 1/2 mile walk to find a small patch of grass for the dogs. Laura has blisters on both feet.

We traveled through 50 miles of swamp without a bridge. This was the only "ferry" we passed.

No it's not on fire, just a local out for a spin. Al Gore would love this guy.

Damn Barges.

Got by this one.

Like my new hood ornament?

Laura lost confidence in my abilities and suggested Brutie take over.




3 comments:

  1. Captain West, Had dinner with Al Gore last night. I was talking about your blog & told him I was a friend of yours (go figure). Anyways turns out he enjoys following you & Tucker & follows your blog. He asked me if I could get the name of the local "out for a spin". Got any enemies?
    A mischievous friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura- the first thing I did aboard Whatever it Takes was to learn how that fancy little boat map worked. From then on as first mate I kept an eye on it & your father. It was a tough job but we got where we were going & avoided the rocks. We may have come close to being taken out by the navy but hell "Who can see a submarine?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Captain West,
    This will be out of order as my email delivered your blog and Safari's is still in cyber space. Don't understand computers but I am trying to work them.
    Your dedication to "Whatever it Takes" was like a love sonnet. Makes the reader wish they had the same love affair with a MATTHEWS. Beautifully written with great photos. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete